EXCITING NEWS! The Science Fantasy Society group is expanding to Royal Road Legends (RRL)! What does this mean exactly? RRL is a social media platform designed for authors with unpublished works. When used properly, it can help Indie Authors gain a significant readership base prior to publication. Using web based novel platforms like RRL has contributed to the success stories of many Bestselling Authors: including Andy Weir, Indie Author of The Martian (Now a Major Motion Picture played by actor Matt Damon), and Blaise Corvin, Amazon Bestselling Indie Author of Delvers LLC: Welcome to Ludus.
The purpose of the SciFan Society is to provide cross promotion and allow readers to have a curated list of Science Fantasy novels on RRL. Science Fantasy is “a mixed genre within the umbrella of speculative fiction which simultaneously draws upon and/or combines tropes and elements from both science fiction and fantasy. It also sometimes incorporates elements of horror fiction.”[link]
All members will receive a listing for each of their novels. Each listing will be categorized according to one of the following SciFan Subgenres:
- Space Opera
- Urban Fantasy
- Portal Fiction
- Alternate History
- Myths & Legends
Each novel will receive a rating by the Moderator according to the following levels:
- Enlightened SciFan: Magical or paranormal properties are fused with technology in order to manipulate and magnify the magic.
- Standard SciFan: Magic is fused with technology, but not necessarily in a coherent sense.
- Soft SciFan: Magic and Technology are merely present in the same realm.
Weekly Member Spotlights: Every week, several chapters from a member’s web novel will be selected at random for extreme critiquing. All members will be expected to participate in this exercise. The purpose of this activity is to give constructive criticism and boost awareness of the members’ work on RRL.
Members will be required to perform the following:
- Read and review fellow member’s posts
- Offer line edits and content edits as needed
- Set a goal to post at least 1 chapter per week
- Interact with other members on the group’s live chat
- Original Post should include synopsis, subgenre, and a link to the fiction page.
- If the story includes mature content, add a warning in your post that matches this format [What is mature?]
- Links to stories on RRL only
- Explain how your fiction is SciFan (Science Fantasy)
How We Operate:
- The Moderator will approve all new members.
- The Moderator will select several chapters for a Featured Member Spotlight each week.
- The Members will critique the selected chapters.
- The Members will assist the Moderator by reporting any offenders of the posted rules.
- The Members will assist the Moderator in rating each new members’ novels.
- The Members will encourage each other to keep up on their weekly writing to ensure content is growing.
- The Moderator will remove members if necessary in accordance with the posted rules.
- The Members will participate in our Official Chatango Chat room.
- The Members will suggest possible new members based upon reaching out and critiquing other RRL works that have the SciFan flavor.
In the future, interested authors will be required to submit an application for consideration. Applications will be judged by existing members according to applicable Science Fantasy content, page count, and author prowess.
However… once we go live, for a very limited time enrollment to the group will be Open. Your only mission, if you choose to accept it, is to make a comment about your interest below the following Announcement Post:
Are you an Author? Do you have a SciFan story to share with the world? Can you think of existing stories that should be properly classified as SciFan? Come join our SciFan Society on Facebook to learn how you can participate in this growing movement!